Sunday, May 6, 2012

Sunday, May 6, 2012


 Spring Conditions;
Spring is when the conditions get a bit confusing at Avila Beach and that is what we had today.  It was warm, almost hot, on the beach, with not enough breeze to cut the heat and a water temperature of 51.  Getting into a wetsuit did not sound like a good idea until your feet hit the water.  On the beach today were Ed, Ruta, Rob, Niel, Duke, Sylvia and Yvonne.  51 degrees did not sound like fun to Yvonne so she sat this one out.  Sylvia swam the buoy line and looped out to check out a nice catamaran that was anchored on the west side of the pier.  Ed and Ruta started early, swimming the east side of the buoy line.  Ruta is getting used to our cold water and increasing her distance.  Ed completed the buoy line with her and joined Rob and Niel as they were starting out.  Rob and I wanted to do another 2 to 3 mile swim and Duke was planning on joining us at the end of the first mile.  This is what we did last Sunday.  Rob and had I chatted a little about how the lower water temperature may effect today's swim but could only conclude that we would figure it out as we progressed.  As part of our plan Rob and I tethered a couple of bottles of sport drink at the first buoy in the line so we would have something to work on at the completion of each lap.  The three of us headed down the buoy line on the west side of the pier and met up at the creek.  It had been cold getting in and Ed and I were not acclimated yet.  Ed decided to continue to the end of the pier with us and to then come in along the pier.  When we got to the end of the pier I was still feeling the cold more than I should have.  Rob and I swam to the 1st buoy on the east side.  The water had been several degrees colder on the east side of the pier and when we got to the last buoy I decided that I would swim back to our starting place and if I did not start feeling more comfortable by then that I would get out.  Rob said that he was feeling tingly but was OK.  We collected Duke just before arriving at the pier and swam under the pier to our starting point.  Rob downed most of his bottle and sent it in with me.  Duke and Rob completed a second lap,  making it 1 mile for Duke and I and 2 for Rob.   I do not know why I was feeling the cold so much today.  I was well rested and had eaten a good breakfast, and last weekend I had been OK for 90 minutes in 53 degree water.  Today I just couldn't seem to shake the cold.  I also lost my goggles in the surf while I was getting out so maybe it just was not my day to shine.  It was hot on the beach so I warmed up quickly.  It was warm enough that I think I need to start bringing my umbrella. Last May and June we saw water temperatures range between 51 and 63.  I have no idea what this year will bring but I'd settle for a steady 55. 


Rob and I will swim Wednesday evening at 5:30 if anyone wants to join us.


niel


No comments: