Sunday, April 13, 2014

Sunday, April 13, 2014


It was just Ali and I today. The water was 54 degrees, 2' surf, with overcast skies that were breaking up.   The lifeguards were training on the left side of the pier.  This was the first day since early last summer that there were baitfish present.  Pete Kelly said that they were either sardines or Spanish mackerel.  The ones that I saw being landed on the pier were nice looking foot long silver fish and whatever they were the seals and pelicans thought that they were good eating.  All of the bait fish action was on the west side of the pier so we gave them some room by starting down the buoy line on the east side.  Ali decided to swim to the end of the buoys and turn back.  I swam to the end of the pier and doubled back the way I had come. The clouds had gone and the sun was nice but we had also picked up a strengthening SW breese.  My leg to the end of the pier was a slog into a building chop and the leg back was part bodysurfing.  By the time we were back from the showers there were whitecaps forming and by 1 PM the water was totally blown out.  I'm glad that we got in when we did.

I'm ready for another Warm Wednesday on the 16th.

niel   

No comments: