Sunday, November 30, 2014

Sunday, November 30, 2014






A Short Swim With a Lot of Vertical Distance

The sky was bright with an occasional shower. It was warm, about 65 degrees with a water temperature of 58.  There was a strong and steady wind out of the SE, small waves but a closed packed wind chop that was running to 3+ feet. Sylvia watched our stuff, Pete body surfed and Stephanie and I tested out the swimming conditions. The buoys have been taken out so our route was going to be approximate.  When we started swimming out I found that I had underestimated the conditions and it was rougher than I had thought.  It took some work and punching through some waves to get out against the chop and wind.  Once we turned parallel to the beach it was not as hard but very messy swimming with no organization to the surface of the water.  I was not swallowing any water but the swimming conditions were as messy and changeling as I have experienced.  I was warm and comfortable so it was just a matter of figuring out how to make progress in these conditions.  I kept stopping in order to stay connected with Stephanie because I would completely lose sight of her if I got more than 20' away.   We both had a lot of fun on this swim and this was a nice accomplishment for Stephanie who has only been swimming in the ocean for a few months.

niel

No comments: