Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Tuesday, January 24th, 2023

Today was a beautiful morning for a swim at Avila Beach. I was joined by Jay Sandy who grew up in San Luis Obispo and surfing at Avila but is now living in Encinitas and swimming in those warm Southern California waters.    



We got in at 8. It was clear and sunny with a steady offshore breeze and 33°F. The water was 11.5°C/52.7°F. The tide was coming in and there were sets with 6'+ faces so I was not thinking about the water temperature while we were getting in. I was distracted enough that I didn't start my watch so there is no plot of today's swim, but, we did the same swim I have done the last two times; parallel to the beach on the east side of the pier until we were off of Fossil Point, then back to the end of the Avila Pier and in. This route is working while I get my swimming chops back and was good for Jay because he didn't have as much of a wetsuit as he would have preferred at these temps and would keep us closer to shore in case he got cold. There was not much chop on the water so the swimming was easy but those big swells were rolling through even out past the end of the Avila Pier. 
We swan for about an hour. 

This was a great way to start the day. 

I'll be back Thursday between 7 and 8. I'll help collect water samples from Avila Beach and SLO Creek Thursday morning and if the bug numbers are down from last week I start including the west side of the pier in my routes.

I heard from Tom Lorish. He swam this morning at 10:15 and spoke to Jay Sandy.

niel

No comments: