Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Tuesday, February 27th, 2024

 Niel's Tuesday Morning Swim -  

I have a great swim this morning. I arrived a bit early.  The air temperature was 45°, the surf was like Sunday, 2 to 3 foot but mushy, well consolidated and breaking on the sand bars three times with the final break at the beach. Sand is building up on the beach so the walk to and from the water is no longer rocky. The beach near the water is still very steep. Sometimes the water that runs out collapses the incoming waves and creates a wave going back out through the surf.  I waded out until I had to begin swimming and in 10M I could stand up on a bar and walk out past the breaks. 
 
I had not done triangles in a while so I swam the imaginary buoy line clockwise and counterclockwise. The water felt colder than Sunday. I measured 55° which is almost the same temp as on Sunday but with the lack of sun and a 25° cooler air temperature it felt like 53 - 54.
I could still feel the swells passing under me at the end of the Avila Pier.  Each sandbar takes some energy out of a swell and by the time they reached the beach they were down to mush.

Things look good for swimming on Thursday with rain starting Thursday night and continuing through Saturday so swimming Saturday and Sunday may get scrubbed. 

niel                

No comments: