Thursday, November 9, 2023

Thursday, November 9th, 2023

 I'm Back - 

I'm back in the water after more than a week in Eureka where there is a lot of water but where the best pool is a 25 yd. indoor pool with narrow lanes that you need to share. I do not find it to be a relaxing experience.
After reading Tom's posts I was looking forward to this morning. At 6:30 it was 48° and clear with an offshore breeze gaining strength as the sun came up. The water was 53° and already showing some chop.  The lifeguard towers have been pulled to the back of the beach for the winter. The swim zone buoys are still in. They will be pulled out on whatever schedule the harbor guys have time.  
I decided to do something a bit different. I swam to the end of the Avila Pier, to the first crossbars on the Poly Pier, to the end of the pier and back to the end of the Avila Pier.  I do not think I have ever done this route before.  There is still some kelp near the first crossbars that I needed to dodge.  During the summer the kelp would be too thick to swim through.  

I had not planned my swim quite right. Going to the end of the Poly Pier first would have been less challenging. Going counterclockwise I had the most difficult leg at the end. It was bumpy going out along the Poly Pier with a following chop. From the end of the Poly Pier to the Avila Pier was going to be across a one foot wind chop at a 45° angle. I needed to swim and not think about what progress I was making. The chop was pushing me to the right so I needed to keep checking my navigation, but without thinking about my progress.
Welcome back to the ocean!

I'll be back Saturday at 7 and Sunday at 11.

niel    

No comments: