Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Tuesday, November 14th, 2023

41° + 52° = Cold Swimming

The combination of a 41° air temperature and a 52° water temperature made this the coldest swim in recent memory.  Conditions were beautiful. It was sunny with a slight breeze. There was a swell out of the SE that didn't look to big from shore but it was enough to make each leg a different swim and over the shallows near Fossil Point it became quite rollie.  The surf was flat except for an occasional 3 footer.  

I was looking for 4000M this morning but came up a bit short. I encountered kelp near Fossil Point and turned around before I was directly off of the point.  

On my way from the end of the Avila Pier to Fossil Point I happened across Jim. He was swimming his own route and agreed with me that 1° less in water temp added to 30° less in air temperature made the water feel much colder than it had on Sunday, when the water was 53° and the air was 72°.

At Fossil Point ready to head back towards my starting point.
My numb feet were telling me that the water was definitly in the lowest of the 50's 

I'm not sure about swimming Thursday. I'll decide that morning when I know how much it has rained overnight and I'll make a guess about the water quality.

I plan on swimming Saturday at 7 and Sunday at 11.

niel
 

No comments: