Saturday, March 23, 2024

Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Jodi, Tom Israel and Niel got in at 7. It were scattered clouds, the air temperature was 47°, and the morning offshore breeze was rising with the sunrise. The rain last night had not dirtied the water. The surf was 2 to 3 feet with no sign of a bigger swell from the storm. The negotiated route would celebrate the return of the swim zone buoys by swimming the length of the buoy line and to not to repeat a leg, so, we swam to the left end of the buoys, to the end of the Poly Pier, in to the 2nd crossbars, over to the last buoy near the creek and along the right buoy line to our starting point.  The water was still 52°.

Jodi, Tom and Niel near the left end of the buoy line.  

As we swam further offshore there was a large swell but the swimming stayed smooth. We swam through some showers that moved west to east across the bay.  

Coming in we were surprised by a couple of 5 to 6 foot waves. The first one picked up Jodi and I and gave us a view from it's lip of Tom looking up and back at us from the impact zone. We slid down the back of the wave and floated over the second one. There wasn't a third so we swam for shore where Tom's cap was visible in the whitewater. He'd ducked under the waves, avoided a round in the spin cycle and caught a smaller wave that took him to the beach.

I'll be back tomorrow to swim at 11. There may be some showers but it should be a beautiful day at the beach.

Gear Report - Garmin 935 upgrade to 945 

Last week I replaced the second of the Garmin 735's I've had with a 745. The second one was a refurbished model that Garmin gave me a deal on when a seal failed in my first 735. Recently the second one had what appeared to be a battery failure. It locked up, took multiple reboots to get the display back and then didn't have GPS and showed the wrong time, so I got on the web and went shopping. I was happy with the 735 but it is discontinued. Garmin's list for the 745 is $499. Online a refurbished 735 was $230, a new 735 was $285 and a new 745 was selling for $330. I was happy with the 735 but rather than buy a 'new' watch that had been on the shelf for years with its battery aging out I bought the 745. Its basic functions are very much like the 735 but I had some reservations. The 745 has Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Garmin Pay and Sportify and certainly other stuff that I would need to dig into and turn off to dial it back to how I'd like it. It is not unlike getting a new phone.  On the upside, the buttons are a different design and look to be more resistant to sand and salt, so less chance of a leak. It has improved GPS and the plots of my runs and swims are more true to my route without the zig zags in the previous plots. It also, somehow, logged my heart rate through my wetsuit today!  It does a different pulse sensor. Tomorrow's swim will tell me more.


No comments: