Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Tuesday, March 19th, 2024

Signs of Spring at Avila Beach:

Fog, pelicans, cold water and more people on the weekends. 

Fossil Point 
We have all of those now. Jim and Niel got in just before 7. It was 46° and calm with patchy fog. The water was 52° with a mix of small swells. The surf was small except for a very occasional thumper. The bottom is flat a long way out so the small waves break on shore and the big ones will break way out.    

Jim and I swam out to the end of the pier and began a counterclockwise triangle. Jim's shoulder lasted until we came to the creek mouth, so he headed back and I continued on to complete two laps before coming in along the pier.

I'll swim Thursday and Saturday at 7 and Sunday at 11.

niel 

1 comment:

Kayla Delk said...

Hi Niel,
I'm a Cal Poly student and was recommended to your blog showcasing your open water swims. I'm looking to learn how to open water swim in preparation for a triathlon in May, and was wondering if you or anyone you swim with would be interested in helping me learn some basic open water skills as well as gain comfortability in my wetsuit.

I'm not exactly sure how this blog comment system works, but if you have any additional information please feel free to email me at kadelk04@gmail.com. Any help would be much appreciated!