Sunday, July 2, 2023

Sunday, July 2nd., 2023

 Summer Comes to Avila Beach -

By mid-morning Avila was beginning to get crowded, the fog was clearing, it was 70° and the wind was starting to chop up the water offshore. The water was plankton free and 58° 😃.  
We had a great group today; Jeff Reid is in town from New Zealand with his family and joined Jamie, myself and Alex and Don who were visiting from the Bay Area.  
A lifeguard came buy and let us know that earlier a 6 foot white shark had been swimming along the buoy line at the dog beach, so, we decided to not go further out than the Avila swim buoys. 
Based on yesterday's 56° water I had switched to my summer weight Orca wetsuit today. The The water felt friendly as I was wading in and I was immediately comfortable when I began swimming. Ah, summer at last.  

Jeff, Jamie, Don and Alex

From the beginning the water had a 6" to 12" chop and a good push from the SW. Swimming west required patience and persistence but being in 58° water made it easier. This was a physical and really fun swim. 

Jeff may join Jodi and I on Tuesday morning at 7 for a swim before the crowds show up.
I won't be able to swim Thursday.

niel     


No comments: