Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Avila Beach was a big surprise today.  I was expecting a foggy/gray/overcast day but it was sunny and warm when we got there.  There was a breeze from the SE and some small chop on the water but conditions looked nice.  Sylvia and Yvonne were already out along the buoy line.  I checked the water temperature and got a 61.  The water looked very clear and clean.  There was one seal on the left side of the pier but no sign of bait fish or other 'attractive' activity to make getting in questionable.  Sylvia and Yvonne were just getting out as Kim and I got in.  We swam out to the buoy line and turned left. We went parallel to the beach to the end of the sea wall and came back to the pier.  Kim headed in and I continued under the pier and down to the last buoy at the creek.  Just short of the last buoy the water jumped up in temperature and then started tasting real bad.  The creek gets stagnant for its last 1/2 mile before the ocean and attracts a lot of roosting birds, which seems like a recipe for bad water quality, so I reversed course and headed back to the pier.  The water was clear enough that while I was swimming under the pier to thought that I could see some dark rocks or starfish on the bottom.  By the time I was out and settled down to lunch the wind had died and shifted into its usual direction from the NW and kicked up a bit, with whitecaps forming offshore.


We are still swimming Wednesday evenings at 5:30.


niel    

No comments: