Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sunday, January 8, 2012


It was beautiful at Avila today, warm (70+) with a mild offshore breeze and unlimited visibility.  The tide was ebbing, the big waves were gone leaving just a small swell moving towards the beach.  The water was 52.5 and still kind of murky from the big swell earlier in the week.  It was Rob, Sylvia and I on the beach today.  Sylvia elected to soak up the sun and read the paper so Rob and I got our gear on and waded in.  The water was biting at my ankles and hands and I took my time getting out, with plenty of looks over to Rob, he of the non-wetsuit persuasion, to see how he was doing.  We got going, met up at the first buoy and kept going.  With the tide up and not much swell it was a good day to visit Fossil Point so we continued past the last buoy and swam parallel to the beach until we were bobbing in the waves 75M from the point.  At some point between the last buoy and the point I had gotten as comfortable as I was going to get.  My hands and feet were cold and my face was numb but my arms, legs and core felt OK.  We agreed to swim from the point to the end of the pier.  When we regrouped at the pier I was still feeling about the same, not getting any colder yet, so we pushed on to the last buoy at the creek and came back along the buoy line, under the pier and in.  We were in the water for 53 minutes and covered a mile and a half.  Afterwards the sun on the sea wall was almost too warm, which was just about perfect. 


niel  




No comments: