Thursday, December 16, 2010

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Rob and I met up at Avila at noon today to get in a swim before the rain started on Friday. It was very sunny and calm at the beach with only a few thin high clouds. The water was 54.5 with no noticeable swell. The waves were close to nothing except for an occasional set of 3 footers. Except for the falling temperature, the water was flat and smooth and the swimming conditions were just about as favorable as it gets in the ocean. We were dawdling about in the suds, taking our time getting in, when a set of the 3 footers came along and hurried up the getting wet process. The water felt colder that the 55 degrees at our previous swim., more than the half degree on my thermometer. I kept feeling a lot of clod water moving around in my wetsuit and the neoprene free Rob said that his skin was burning more than usual. We headed straight out to the end of the pier, turned left and swam to Fossil Point. I found a nice cold spot from the upwelling from the rocks to stop at, Rob noticed my plan right away. From the point we swam parallel to the shore along the buoy line to the pier and in. This route was just over a mile and took us 35 minutes with stops. The legs to and from Fossil Point were about 700M and were a nice opportunity to stretch out and get into my stroke.
Rain is likely on Sunday. Rob and I are going to keep in touch and may decide to swim, rain or not. We are going to get wet anyway.

niel

No comments: