Sunday, May 29, 2011

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Our long swim did not happen today as planned. The wind was stiff enough that Chad decided that it was not prudent to take out their boat and I agreed. Today's winds were predicted to gust to 40mph, which didn't sound like a good day do our planned route which would have taken us 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile off shore. At 10:30 I went out on the pier to take the temperature. The water was already white capped half way inside the length of the pier and there were occasional sets of 3' - 4' waves. The water temperature was 51. I saw a couple of seals out by the buoy line, the first of this season. Niel, Chad and Damion were decided to get in and do a swim close to the beach. We got in down at the creek and swam down wind parallel to the shore, under the pier and along the beach on the east side of the pier to the end of the seawall. We turned back and swam to and under the pier again and to the first buoy on the west side. At that point we turned in. We were in the water for 23 minutes. I was still feeling OK but my hands and feet were numb and I just wanted to get dry. Thanks to Damion's father for volunteering to kayak today.

niel

No comments: