Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Wednesday Evening, September 18, 2013


Tom Lorish and I swam this evening.  There was a light but steady offshore breeze that was putting just a ripple on the water.  The air was very warm and the water temperature was 56 degrees.  There were some seals around but no birds or signs of bait fish.  Tom and I swam out to the end of the Avila Pier, over to the usual spot on the Cal Poly Pier and came back on the same course.  We covered 1.37 miles in 46 minutes.  The swimming conditions were great with no chop, swell or current to deal with.  I thought that it was colder by a degree or two over towards the Poly Pier and Tom thought that it was colder near the Avila Pier, so, I can say that the water temperature was variable.  The difference of opinion might have had something to do with me starting the swim with my wetsuit unzipped or that Tom wears a Farmer John.  There were several seals that were checking us out when we stopped at the Poly Pier and two of them followed me all of the way back to the beach.  They had some friends that joined them near the Avila Pier.  It was kind'a freaky.  

niel

No comments: