Tom L's Friday Swim Report -
Foggy, glassy and calm. That was Avila at 9:30 AM. The air temperature was mid 60s, and the water temperature was low 60s. It was an excellent Friday morning swim.
In the unexpected and unfortunate side effects department: an explanation for all the dead birds on the beach. As per animal rescue via one of the regulars I see, the dead birds are a result of the extended warm water. Apparently the birds cannot dive deep enough to get to the fish which normally would be closer to the surface but due to the warm water have gone to deeper depths, and they are slowly starving to death and washing up on shore. I have seen these birds while swimming, and have wondered why they look so lethargic and do not move when I am nearby. And now it all makes sense. Nature being nature, if this trend were to continue long-term, the birds would work it out and go further north. Nature's window.
No comments:
Post a Comment