Sunday, November 15, 2015

Sunday, November 15, 2015


Stormy conditions at Avila Beach today. Tom ahd texted me Saturday night to check if I was up for a swim in the rain. I was so so about going but once I got his invite I had to show. I'm glad I did. We swam in stormy conditions and had a lot of fun. The air temperature was about 60 degrees and the water was 58 to 59.  There was not much wind but a choppy swell and a flooding tide made a solid push towards the beach, which combined with some waste to chest high waves made things interesting. 

With the end of our warm water and a return of more 'normal' water temperatures I try and not feel like this guy and remember how one we once greeted water temperatures in the high 50's as a treat.




The lifeguard stations have been shut down but the buoys are still in place. We swam out to the end of the pier, down to the end of the buoy line and back to our starting point, for .86 of a mile in 31 minutes from in to out including photos.  With the swell, chop and tide the pier seemed to have grown longer. 



Attempted underwater group shot. 
I'm on the left, having already popped back up.

So we had fun and got to start relearning some real rough water skills.   



The first picture may have given you a false impression that the fellows in the new Patagonia catalogue were just up to staging some funny photos, however, take a close look at this one that was on the next page. I don't see any wetsuits.   
 

niel

No comments: