Saturday, September 23, 2023

Saturday, September 23rd, 2023

The Poly Pier 5K

Avila was beautiful just before the sun came up over the headlands. It was 51° with clear skies with a few clouds and no wind. The water was flat with a ripple on it as if the wind was starting up out there. There were a few pelicans diving on some fish but no organized bait ball activity. 

I had not exactly planned it but today's route was all my fault. After our somewhat unplanned 4600M swim last Saturday I told Jodi about a 5K route (why not? its only 400M longer) that I had done that included the length of the Poly Pier. I forgot about it until this morning when Jodi asked me if I was up for the swim I had suggested the previous Saturday.  I hope that I didn't obviously hesitate before saying Sure!   5K was longer than Tom L. was looking for but he came along for the fun.   
The route is pretty simple: The east buoy line, the last buoy to the end of the Poly Pier, in along the pier until you can touch the shore and double back. We swam on the west side of the pier because there is just one small patch of kelp on that side compared to the east side.  The water was 57°- 58° and clean with an occasional lift from a swell. The wind chop never became a thing so it was smooth swimming all of the way.  

Jodi, Tom and Niel touching the shore at the base of the CPP. 

We all had a great time. It was starting to cloud up when we were at the showers. 

When I was leaving I spoke to Jonny and met his two boys. I have not seen him in about a year. 

I'll swim a shorter route tomorrow at 11.

niel 
   


 

No comments: