Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Tuesday, September 26th, 2023

Surf's Up - 

For the first time in many months there was a large swell at Avila Beach. Sets were showing about 3/4 of the way out along the pier and making 6' waves with nice barrels.
Wayne joined me today. He is from Seattle, swims in Puget Sound and has jumped in with us before. The water temp wouldn't be an issue for him but there is wind chop but no waves in the sound so getting out through the surf would be a first for him.      
Wayne and I got in on the west side of the pier. Wayne got out OK and added a successful surf entry to his experience. We swam a triangle and he went in and I doubled back to our starting point.  Getting back in was easier and I will credit that to either luck or good timing.  The water was 56° close to shore and warmed up to 58° about half way out along the pier.  It was sunny, 56° and calm. Along the buoy line it was elevator swimming with the big rollers passing under us.      

Wayne and Niel along the east buoy line.

When I got out I saw Duke's car and spotted him in the water 3/4 of the way out along the pier.  He was out when I was coming back from the showers so we talked swimming for a bit.

Duke and I will be back on Thursday at 7.

niel 

No comments: