Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Tuesday, June 18th, 2024

After swimming in lovely 58° water on Sunday I was disappointed to read Tom's estimate from Monday of 55°, but I told myself that 55° was so much better then that bottom 50's that we have experienced in the past months.  When I started swimming I thought I heard ocean gods laughing and I was thinking: 'Oh my goodness, the water is quite cold today, well below 55° and my face is in shock'.  (This comment was edited for general publication).    
The water was 52° with colder areas near the Poly Pier.  I do not recall experiencing this large of a drop in the water temperature over two days.

I'd planed today's route earlier and decided to see if I would last the distance at today's temperature. The route is a yo-yo between the end of the Avila Pier and four points along the Poly Pier. I swam to the end of the Avila Pier, to the second crossbars on the Poly Pier, to the third crossbars, back to the end of the Avila Pier, to the mooring thingy that is 125M from the end of the Poly Pier, to the end of the pier, back to the end of the Avila Pier and in.      
Conditions were exceptionally nice today. The air temperature was 49°, there was 1 to 2 foot surf, no wind, a slight swell, and a glassy, very clean and cold ocean.
Greetings from the end of the Poly Pier.

I'll swim Thursday and Saturday at 7.

niel



No comments: