Saturday, January 13, 2024

Saturday, January 13th, 2024

The swimming conditions looked great this morning so Jodi and I were looking forward to a nice swim with no drama (as in big swells).  At 7 AM the surf was 1 to 2 foot with no swell and just a wind ripple on the surface.  The air temp was 37°. It was clear with a great sunrise forming up over Pismo Beach. We decided to do a clockwise reef buoy poly pier loop. 
When our feet hit the water we found the drama that we thought would be missing today. It was COLD. I measured 50° at the end of the Avila Pier and coming in along the Poly Pier I found a temp drop. We spent a minimum of time treading water or talking. The good part was the low water temp pushed us and we swam harder than usual for the whole distance.  We were not going to get 'warm' but swimming hard did help distract me from the cold.     

Niel and Jodi at the end of the Poly Pier.


There is a glitch in my plot because under 3200 M is short for this route.  The plot has me swimming a diagonal from the Avila Pier to the reef buoy, however, I swam parallel to the beach until I was at the big rock, where I turned right 90° and swam to the reef buoy. Somehow Garmin took a break between the pier and the reef buoy but picked me up again from there.

NOAA is predicting one to two tenths of an inch of rain tonight which is not enough to raise any water quality concerns, so I'm planning on swimming tomorrow at 11.

niel 

No comments: