Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Tuesday, August 11th, 2026

Four Fingers - 

I had this idea about swimming a plot that looked like a glove by swimming to and back from points along the Poly Pier. I made the four fingers and decided that the thumb, which would have been to the western #4  buoy and back, would be left for a later day. The conditions were excellent with a 60° air temperature, a 63° water temperature, thick overcast but no fog, no wind, a smooth glassy surface and nice clean water. 
I towed a 24 oz. bottle of maltodextrin and electrolytes and worked on it at each return to the Avila Pier.  In order the legs were to the end of the Poly Pier, to the second crossbars, to the mooring tripod thing and to the third crossbars. I was trying to leave the shortest legs for last.     
My plot weirded out again. 6,396M is about the correct distance and the swim stats were complete for the entire swim. Google suggested switching the data recording setting from Smart to Every Second, so I'll see if that helps.

At the Second Crossbars

At the mooring thingy. 

On my last trip back to the Avila Pier I crossed paths with three members of the Poly Water Polo Club on their way to the Poly Pier. They are training for an Alcatraz swim and the upcoming season. 

Walking up the beach I saw Tom Lorish as he was getting in and spoke to him for a bit. 

I'll b be back on Thursday at 8. I want to enjoy these conditions while they last. 

niel   


No comments: