Thursday, August 12, 2021

Thursday, August 12th, 2021

 A beautiful morning at Avila Beach today. There was no fog and no wind, just some patches of high thin clouds. The ocean was flat and glassy and 59°. The air was 64°. I arrived at 8:30 and saw Duke and Nick out beyond the end of the Avila Pier on the Burner U route.  I spoke with Tom as he was heading for the water. I didn't see him again. He must have gone long because his car was still there when I was leaving. I spoke with NIck and Duke as they were getting out. Duke was going to work and Nick was going to do the rest of a mini-tri.  

I didn't feel like going over to the Poly Pier so I did my two triangles.  The wind was coming up as I was walking to the showers. 

I'm planning a long swim on Saturday, toes in at about 9 and I'll spend Sunday morning watching Jodi do her Three Martini Swim.

Product Report: I do not like feeling cold. I have been wearing an Xterra tri suit when the water temp was above about 57° and a Patagonia R3 in colder temps. I just replaced an Xterra Vortex with the less expensive Volt and I like the Volt better. The Vortex features thicker material in the arms, chest and legs and I found the suit warmer but much more difficult to put on and take off. It was hard to zip up my myself and the 5mm material in the front of the legs made it difficult to pull the legs off. The Volt is easier to sip up and almost falls off on its own and is warm enough at summer temperatures. I have had 5 Xterra wetsuits and I have found that an Xterra suit is done in 18 to 24 months, whether I've worn it much or not. The material just ages out and falls apart. They are great for training and affordable.  


niel   

No comments: