Saturday, December 18, 2021

Saturday, December 18th, 2021

 We were dodging bugs this morning. SLO Creek tested really high for bacteria on Thursday so we are staying away from the mouth of the creek and the west side of the Avila Pier, hoping that some distance and dilution equals safety. It was clear and cold at Avila Beach this morning, 34° at 7:30. There was an offshore wind and a swell from the SE. The waves were 3+ foot. Jodi, Leslie, Jacki, Theresa, Stephanie and Niel swam at 8 and Tom at 9. Jacki swam parallel to the beach just beyond the waves and had her best swim yet. The group swam down to Fossil Point, to the end of the Avila Pier, back to about where the last buoy is in the summer and back to the pier.  The water temperature was 54.5°. Jodi said that with the water being 20° warmer than the air, swimming would be great.  We did have a great swim but the cold air made the water feel like the low 50's to me. My new wetsuit is great, I was dry and comfortable but my face and feet were cold and didn't warm up unit I was home in my civies.  





Theresa, Niel Leslie and Jodi

Stephanie

On our way from the end of Avial Pier to the last buoy Stephanie spotted a large pod of dolphins swimming in the opposite direction about 40M away. I was able to get one photo but the dolphin was in the glare and is hard to see.

I'll be back for more at 11 tomorrow. Duke, Theresa and Jodi will be there.

niel   

This from Leslie:

HI, thanks for a great swim today!!  The dolphins had more dolphins out there to play with

Can you please add this to the blog if you dont mind?

I am signed up for Maui Channel Swim 2022 currently as an available swimmer for any team looking to complete theirs.  It would be really fun if anyone wanted to join me or possibly a team of our own? please oh please oh please... We only need 6 swimmers, first leg is 30 minutes then it goes in 10 minute segments until 9 miles is done.  

At this point IDK if they'll be able to have it but I emailed the race director and they're hopeful.

So if anyone can stand the thought of a trip to Maui in September of 2022....Id love any and all dolphins with me.

Leslie


I took a team of Dolphins to Maui for this race in 2008. Thanks to an excellent boat captain we finished third in the most senior flight. Organization and good navigation are critical to a successful crossing.  The swim is great fun, 9.3 miles in the open ocean in warm water, and attracts teams from the west coast, Australia and New Zealand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Niel! Registration officially opens in June 2022, there would be time to organize boat captain and a team if we wanted. Im on his list for people to choose from with my age, stats etc. The race is listed as professional level but there are plenty of rec teams of all experience levels and I think we'd have some fun while we were there.. It's playground water!