Saturday, June 3, 2023

Saturday, June 3rd, 2023

 

At the end of the Cal Poly Pier
Jodi and Jim in the background and Niel

Jodi, Jim and Niel got in at 7 AM. Avila was in full June Gloom mode with dense gray cloud cover, 53°, calm, 52.7° water that felt like 51° or maybe 52°, a nice glassy surface and a small swell from the SW.  This week the water has started to become 'summery', not in temperature but the nice clean winter water is being replaced by the yellow brown summer crud of plankton which means that the bait fish will arrive soon bringing with them the seals, birds and big fish. There was a lot of kelp in the surf line. 

There were three swims today: Jim is still getting his cold water chops back so he's get out when it was his time,  Jodi wanted to do 1:15 and I was looking for 4,500M.

We swam the Poly Pier Circle counterclockwise. Jim went in when we were passing by the Avila Pier. Jodi hit 1:15 when she and I arrived back at the Avila Pier and I continued on to do a triangle to to top up my distance. My dead reckoning was off a bit since I wound up with 5,000+M.

I'll be back tomorrow at 11. I'm expecting two new swimmers.

niel  

Tom L. got in at about 10 and swam around the Avila Rock.  

No comments: