Thursday, January 27, 2022

Thursday, January 27th, 2022

Thursday was my birthday and Avila Beach started things off with beautiful clear skies, a light offshore wind, moderate surf, clean water and several lumpy swells out of the SE. At 8AM the air temp was 38° and rising and the water was 54°.   

Jodi brought cupcakes! The one in the lower right has a starfish, a blue fish tail sticking out of the top and a bunch of things that could be anemones. Wow.

Duke gave me a cinnamon roll with a candle and a new cap. Cool and thanks!
 

Since my recent 5800M swim with Jodi I'd started to think about swimming my age on my birthday. The idea got some legs and I showed up this morning with Cliff Shots and hydration to tow along with me. Jodi swam the first lap with me so it was nice to have somebody's bubbles to chase, except I can never stay that close to her. Duke swam his U Burner so we didn't see him in the water. I crossed paths with Tom near the end of the Avila Pier. 
I had guessed my nutrition correctly, the swim went well, came in amazingly close to my goal (7.200M on my 72nd birthday) without any messing around on the route and I was ready to stop swimming when I stood up to walk out.

So, to my fellow Old Men of the Ocean, you know who you are, when are your birthdays and let's see what you've got.

Jodi and Niel


Tom

Niel

Thanks to all of the Avila Dolphins for making this fun.
A special thanks to Big Steve Snyder, who persisted in harassing me at the pool until I showed up to try swimming with him and the Avila Dolphins at Avila Beach. That was 1992.

I'll be back Saturday morning at 8 for something shorter.

niel  

No comments: