Saturday, February 4, 2023

Saturday, February 4th, 2023

I got in the water at 7:30.  It was 38°F with thin high clouds, the typical early morning Avila offshore breeze and in sync with the rain predicted for later today there was a south swell and the surf was up to 4' to 5'. The water was 10.5°C/50.9°F 

I planned to swim two triangles starting from the end of the pier. Getting out required swimming out to the break point and duck diving under the largest waves of the set and then swimming out over the smaller ones. The waves didn't have a lot of power so this was more a matter of timing than power. 
The west side triangle got weird because I had a new pair of goggles and the factory 'anti-fog' coating lasted for less than 30 min. before they totally fogged up and I was swimming 'in the fog'.  The distance still worked out OK. 
    
Coming back in was much easier. It was just a matter of waiting in the break zone for the largest waves of the set and then following them in.  
Tom's swim report:
I got in at 10:15… The water felt like 50° to me. 10°C. Air temperature was about 56 when I got in.  Pretty good swell, and a good bump on the water. Good day swimming. 

Gear Report -

Like most swimmers I've used all manner of commercial anti-fog solution, my spit and for the longest time, diluted baby shampoo. Duke was using Quick Spit AnitFog so I gave it a try and once I figured out to use it it is the best. I can put my goggles on with the rest of my gear and they don't fog up while I'm getting in the water, or while I'm swimming, or if I have to take them off and put then back on while I'm in the water. I don't follow their directions. I give one lens a squirt and spread this gently over both lenses with my finger, I let it dry and then gently buff with a microfiber cloth.
I need to reapply after each swim to keep this level of fog free.  GH Sports in SLO stocks it.  


I'll be back at 11 tomorrow, unless today's storm packs a lot more rain than is predicted.

niel     


No comments: