Sunday, February 5, 2023

Sunday, February 5th, 2023

On the good side the surf was smaller and the water was 1/2 to 1° warmer. On the not so good side there was a strong and steady breeze out of the west that made a chop and current that made every leg of the swim a workout.
David was with me today. The air temperature at 11 was 56°F. I measured a water temperature of 11°C/51.8°F at the end of the Cal Poly Pier. Today felt warmer but the air temperature was 20° higher than yesterday morning so that was probably part of it.       

I was planning on swimming around Avila Rock today but David and I decided to do a loop over to the CPP. From Tom's report below, there was rough water everywhere today. 
Swimming parallel to the beach was choppy but compared to the legs from the reef buoy to the end of the CPP and coming in along the pier to the second crossbars added a strong current to make it a slog. 


Niel and David at the end of the Cal Poly Pier

Passing by the mouth of the creek the water became slightly cloudy and picked up a dirt like taste.  We got past that as quickly as we could. 


Tom's Report - 
Pretty good wind chop out there today! I swam around the rock again. The leg from the rock back to Avila Pier was nuts!  The wind and the current were working against me, it was all I could do to get back. Water was 50° again. I saw your chair but I didn't see you out there. Sue left you a cap she had made in support of the Ukrainians. It is her birthday gift to you.  

Thank you Sue! That's really cool. 
What does the D with the whale's tail stand for?

Clear weather is predicted for this week with a slight chance of rain next weekend so this week's swimming should be good.

I plan on getting in at 7:30 on Tuesday morning.

niel  



No comments: