Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Tuesday. February 7th, 2023

 A Cold Swim But Not Quite A Record -

I thought, and it felt like, that I might do 4K in sub 50° water today but a double 4 will have to wait. The water was 10.5°C/50.8°F.  It felt like it was below 50°, but I was already feeling chilly before I got in because my wetsuit wasn't quite dry when I put it on. 
The air temperature was 36° at 7 AM and it was sunny but breezy. The wind laid down while I was swimming and according to Tom's report, picked back up later in the morning. 

Back at the Avila Pier, ready to get out. 
The water had smoothed out nicely for the second half of my swim.   


Tom's Report - 
The water felt cold to me this morning… My toes and teeth were telling me 50°.  Bump, chop and more bump - it was a rough water swim today. Clear blue skies, and a breeze…  a good morning vitamin!

I'll be back Thursday morning at 7:30.
 
It is about this time of the season for thoughts that the water won't get any colder this season and I can start thinking about when it might begin to warm up, but if I go there I'll be tempting the ocean gods to throw me at 48° or even a 47° day (a personal record that I'm not anxious to repeat) to keep me from making too many plans. 

niel  

No comments: