Sunday, August 25, 2024

Sunday, August 25th, 2024

A beautiful but windy say at Avila Beach. At 10:30 it was 80° and totally sunny with a light breeze. The surf was small and there was some small bumps on the 57° water. Jamie joined me today. She has been swimming 25 yds. at a time for too long and got back in the ocean today. It was bumpy and white capped towards the horizon, so I figured that the wind would pick up and the chop move in, so triangles was the route. Jamie wanted to do 3,000M but would have options for a shorter swim and the triangles would mean that we would be changing directions and not swimming the hard way the whole time.    


At the 4th buoy on the east side for the second time.
 Jamie was loving being back in the ocean.
At this point Jamie swam back to the #1 buoy and went in while I completed the clockwise triangle. The wind and chop quickly built up, before I was at the end of the pier I was meeting some that broke over my head. 
The water is still very clear and clean for late summer and even with sub 60 water temperatures Avila is a beautiful place to swim.
By 1:00 the wind was gusting and picking up clouds of dust along the beach. The water was whitecapped in to the surf line. 

I'm planning on swimming at 7 on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and again at 11 on Sunday.


niel


I spoke with Tom Lorish before we got in. He was a happy swimmer.  
I also spoke with Pet Kelley for a bit. He is still swimming.
 
Josh, David and Matt
First Sharfkfest Swim
Matt swims with us on Saturdays. Josh is his wife's cousin, 
his partner David was the first swimmer out of the water.

Next Thursday Tom Israel leaves for Maui and the Maui Channel Relay with friends from San Diego. It looks like Hurricane Hone will have done its worst and gone by Tuesday so I hope the swim goes well.  



   

No comments: