Sunday, August 4, 2024

Sunday, August 4th, 2024

 

The Yacht Club was setting buoys out for an event when I arrived so I needed to plan a route that would avoid any boat/swimmer interference. Three triangular buoys had been placed, all well out beyond the ends of the Avila and Poly Piers. The lifeguard shared with me what part of the ocean the boats typically use. I wanted to swim out to the end of the Poly Pier so I added what I knew from my experiences and planned to swim out and back along the P Pier, figuring that a captain would need to ram into the pier to get me.              
The lifeguard told me that the water temp was up to 58°, which turned out to be right on and a nice surprise. It was gray and overcast when I got in but cleared as I was swimming to the end of the P Pier.
Keeping the pier between me and the boats was a good idea. When I was returning back along the buoy line there were two participants between the two piers and about half way in to the beach along the Avila Pier. It all worked out fine, they did their thing and I had a very nice swim.      


I got a text from Tom L. that he had had a nice pre yacht race swim and seen my chair but not me.


I'll be out of town  next week. I may make it to the beach on Sunday the 11th.

niel  

No comments: