Saturday, May 8, 2021

Saturday, May 8th, 2021

This morning I had decided to go to the SLO Farmers Market at 8 and to swim at 10.  That turned out to be a good and not so good thing. At 10 AM Avila Beach was sunny, clear and warming up nicely. It was about 60° on its way into the 80°'s. Ther water was 53.5° and flat but there was a lumpy surface swell from the NW that was starting to wrap around the Port San Luis breakwater and work into where we swim. That was the good part. Not so nice was that Avila was already crowded and only about 10% of those present were wearing masks.  I found myself continually trying to decide whether to keep wearing my mask or not, always wondering what was safe. Yuch, extra stress. 



Tom Lorish got in at 9 and I got this photo of him at 9:40 when he was swimming towards the last buoy near the creek mouth. I didn't' cross paths with him in the water.  

I swam out, hung a right at the first buoy and swam two big triangles without stopping. The water was much colder under the pier by 2 or 3 degrees. The chop wasn't too noticeable on the leg from the creek mouth to the end of the Avila Pier. On the next leg from the end of the pier to the last buoy on the east (right in this image) side of the pier the chop built until it was troublesome where I turned towards the last buoy and came back towards the pier along the buoy line. The chop would lay down the closer I got to the pier.



Attempted underwater selfies.

It was really warm when I got out. It felt like the mid 80's, almost too hot to sit out in the sun. It sure felt nice while getting showered off and changed. 

I'll swim tomorrow morning at 7:30 with Duke, Jodi and whoever else shows up.

Right now I'm thinking that I be going back to getting in no later than 8, especially on weekends.

niel   



No comments: