Thursday, May 6, 2021

Thursday, May 6th, 2021

 


It was very gray at Avila this morning with low clouds that went down to the horizon. No real fog and almost spitting, but the ocean was calm with a flat and glassy surface. The surf was 2 to 3 foot. It was 52° with 54.5° water.  I got there to swim at 9AM, Sara and Leslie were already there. We got in, went to the first buoy and turned left. This was to be Leslie's first swim since fracturing her right elbow about two months ago. She was going to try and swim a few buoys. Sara and I would swim a triangle and I would go an extra lap on my own.



Niel and Sara at the first buoy

Leslie is all smiles after having made it to the forth buoy before turning back.
Sara and I cut our swim to the last buoy near the creek mouth short when we ran into some really stinky water near the creek mouth. We angled back over to the pier where Sara went in and I decided to do another lap on the left side.

I ran into Tom Lorish at the last buoy. He was heading back in along the buoy line and I headed for the end of the Avila Pier.

When the amount of water flowing in San Luis Obispo Creek is low, like it is now, the water in the creek's estuary becomes stagnant. The bird and fish poop in the water does it's thing and when this water breaks out into the ocean it can taste and smell like sewage. Definitely something that will put a crimp in your morning and to be avoided.

I'm going the the Madonna Farmer's Market this Saturday at 8 so I'll swim at 10 and see what the midmorning crowds are like. 

niel 

No comments: