Sunday, July 11, 2021

Sunday, July 11th, 2021

The morning fog was clearing late. When I arrived at Avila at 10:20 there was a hole forming over Avial with sunny skys west towards the port and still clearing to the east towards Shell and Pismo Beaches.   




There wasn't much of a crowd at 10:30 but the beach was filling up and by noon it was full . 
We had a nice group today with people filling in who I have not seen since we stopped swimming at 11 more than a year ago.  Swimming today were Niel, Duke, Jodi, Sara (who I have not seen in a year plus), a friend of Sara's who is starting in open water swimming and Kore (?sp) who is the Masters coach at Cuesta, and a friend of Stephanie and Jodie's.     
I wanted to do the route that Theresa and I started last Sunday and had to abort because of the 4th of July Boat Parade. We got it done today in beautiful conditions. The wind was up and the water was a bit choppy but the air temperature was in the upper 70's the water was 62° (!), clean and very nice to swim in. Kore went bareback, Jodi wore her farmer john and I ditched my surf suit for a tri suit. Sara and her friend swam the buoy line. 
Kore, Duke, Jodi and Niel at the end of the CP Pier.  

Duke and I hung on the beach for a while soaking up the perfectly comfortable sunshine.


A Big Congratulations! 

Jodi's nephew has made the US Olympic water polo squad and at 6'-1", 185#, he is the smallest member of the team. They have two swimmers at 6'-7". Duke, who's collegiate water polo carrier was a while ago, cannot imaging what the game must be like now.

Duke and I will swim Tuesday morning at 8.


niel 


No comments: