Sunday, March 19, 2023

Sunday, March 19th, 2023

 Swimming Before the Storm -

I jumped in early this morning in order to beat the predicted rain. There were light showers at Avila, it was gray and overcast with a light wind. The air temperature was 51° and the water was 10°C/50°F.  I didn't notice the water temperature much because the water was a mess. There was a complex chop and swell out of the SSE.  After my first stroke all I was thinking about how I would get in time with such a messy surface.
There was a one foot and a three foot cop with 'mixed seas' in between. The three foot chop was in sets so I'd get these sudden rollercoaster rides. It took me 12 minutes to swim the 420M to the end of the Avila Pier, so I decided today was going to be an hour swim and let the distance be whatever it was.  

Near Fossil Point. Doesn't look too bad from this angle. 

What I'd see when I breathed.

When swimming east, parallel to the beach, the chop was on my right shoulder. Once I turned around it was on left foot so I had a easer time of it and made better time.
It was odd swimming into the shore. I kept checking for waves but there were none. The chop just continued until it broke on the beach. 

Tom swam later in the morning. 

Tom's Report - 
Pretty crazy swim this morning. 53° air temperature when I got in at 10:30. Big chop and swell. I only stayed in for 30 minutes. Brrrrr! 





If, as predicted, we get only a tenth to a quarter inch by Tuesday morning I'll swim early before the main storm arrives.  Thursday looks chancy

niel

No comments: