Tuesday, October 19, 2021

I was by myself and was colder in the water, probably because I got a bit chilled before getting in. Duke texted me that he would swim with Rick and Rhonda at Lopez lake today and Tom was a no show. The air temperature at Avila at 7:45 was 39°, there was an offshore breeze, colder than at home so I was a bit underdressed and got cold when I was out on the pier taking the water temp, which was 54.5°.  There were some 3 to 4 foot sets but there were large enough breaks in between them that getting out was easy. The water was really messy with a combination of swells from the SW and the offshore wind chop that were going in almost opposite directions making an interesting surface to swim in.  

I did my two triangles which gave me seven different exposures to the surface conditions (the conditions coming out on the east and west sides of the pier were different).  Some were easier than others but it was always messing with me.  

Looking from the end of the Avila to the Cal Poly Pier.  
 
The same view but with a wake from a jet ski in the left corner. Two guys who looked like lifeguards or harbor patrol and were all kitted out in matching wetsuits, helmets and cameras came bombing past me just as I stopped next to the pilings at the end of the pier. They waved but were acting like they had not expected anyone else to be in or on the water.

I'll swim Thursday morning at 8:30.

Sadly, this morning's Tribune reported that Ruddell's Smokehouse in Cayucos will be closing at the end of December. This is a huge loss to those who have come to Ruddell's for two decades for the their smoked meats. Two smoked albacore tacos on the beach is one of the best meals anywhere on the Central Coast. The building is to be demolished and the business and their food truck are for sale. 


niel    

No comments: