Thursday, October 21, 2021

Thursday, October 21st, 2021

 Surf's Up

A large NW swell was making large waves on the west facing beaches this morning. In Avila Beach the surf was 3 foot with an occasional 4 to 5 footer. I didn't get a water temp but it felt like 55°. It was sunny and still with an air temperature of 56°. This all added up to a glassy but very lumpy surface. Duke and I met up a little after 8, he would do his sprint starting on the right side of the pier and I would do an out and back triangle starting on the left side. I'd go out and back instead of two circles to avoid swimming through the piers' pilings in this swell.  I was fortunate and timed my entry just right, swimming through the face of a couple of big ones, so if anyone had been watching I looked like I knew what I was doing.

Niel and Duke
On the way to the Avila Pier I thought I heard a seal barking, which turned out to be Duke trying to get my attention. We were only about 30 feet apart on out separate routes.

Tom was also out there this morning. I saw his car parked in its usual place and he later texted me that we passed new each other near the end of the Avila Pier but he couldn't get my attention. 
 
I'll be back Saturday morning at 8. Air and sea conditions should be similar to today's. On Sunday we should do OK getting in a 11.  The intense storm and southern swell on predicted for Sunday should arrive Sunday evening.

niel 

No comments: