Saturday, October 23, 2021

Saturday, October 23rd, 2021


A beautiful morning is Avila Beach. At 8 o'clock the air was still and 47°, the water temp was up to 57° and the surf was big enough for the largest waves to shake the pier.


This committed Boogie Boarder was one of the three people in the water willing to go for one second of glory on an Avila wave before getting a spell in the spin cycle. 

I got out through the break cleanly. There was only one point where I wondered if I was going to get past the surf line without getting washing machined.  It didn't happen and once out I caught my breath and headed down the buoy line. 57° felt much more comfortable than the 55° we have had for the last weeks. There were several different swells happening and I felt them all when I swam past the buoy at the at the reef.  They were not breaking but it was almost like a carnival ride. At Avila the swell was out of the SW so the leg to the CP Pier was uphill, then pushy and lumpy the rest of the way.

There is a storm predicted for late Sunday. Currently a 30% chance of rain at 11 o'clock. The surf will lay down so the swimming could be good.   

I'm going to be there at 11AM to see if I can beat the storm and get in a swim. 

niel   

No comments: