Sunday, September 4, 2022

Sunday, September 4th, 2022

Avila Beach was a full Labor Day experience today. It was about 85° with a clear brilliant sky with a light breeze starting up, and it was crowded with beachgoers and soon to become a fully packed and a bit crazy summer holiday scene.
When I got there a bit after 10 parking was already harder than usual to find. When I left at 12:30 Avila was in full gridlock with people parking anywhere they could fit their car regardless of any signage. A guy in a mini-van spotted me walking away from the beach a block from my car and grabbed my spot.  
Just after I had just gotten myself settled I saw Tom getting out and walked down to ret a report: there was much less red tide today, the water felt the same and he had enjoyed a great swim. I measured 16.5°C/62°F at the end of the CPP. 

Russ joined me today. He is from Fresno and was here for the weekend. He had surfed and swam in San Diego and had a Wildflower Tri swim cap so we jumped right in.         

Russ was short on time so he headed back from the end of the Cal Poly Pier while I continued on to complete the loop. It was great being back out to the CPP. The water was really clean once we got offshore and didn't get red again until I came back to the buoy line towards my finish.

Niel and Russ at the end of the CPP.

I had been really smooth swimming up to this point but it got choppy as I headed east and out of the shadow of the breakwater. There must have been a strong west wind offshore judging by how lumpy it was by the time I was even with the end of the Avila Pier.  A nice swim and even the showers felt warm.   


For the first time the Sharkfest Swims are coming to Avila Beach next month. The 1K route is out and around the Avila Pier, the 2K is out to the end of the pier, most of the way over to the Cal Poly Pier and a loop back.  It will be nice to have a summer water event happening again at Avila Beach.
This would be a short workout for most of us but it should be fun and you'll get a first year t-shirt and help raise money for the SLO Surfrider chapter.

I'm swimming tomorrow at 11 and again on Tuesday at my usual 7AM get in. 
Gott'a enjoy the warm water while it lasts. If there are less than 12 of us tomorrow Peter has invited us to hold our potluck at the Yacht Club.


niel







No comments: