Saturday, April 15, 2023

Saturday, April 15th, 2023

 


Stephanie and I got in just after 7. It was 45°, cloudy, with no wind and a pretty smooth ocean with a minor swell from the SW. The surf was two feet plus.  Getting in the water felt really cold. I was 8.5°C/47.3°F, the same as Thursday but felt colder today.    

We swam to the end of the Avila Pier, in to the first buoy on the west side, along the buoys and over to the first crossbars on the Poly Pier.  This route is not verry doable in the summer because the area between the creek mouth and the pier is a large bed of kelp. Now is the only time heading straight across to the #1 crossbars is reasonable. Stephanie turned around at the Poly Pier having doubled her last Saturdays distance. I continued out and back to the Avila Pier. 
I couldn't get the water temperature out of my head today so I'm glad that the water wasn't 52° and that feeling the cold was real and not just in my head.
Today the cold and trying to keep up with Stephanie pushed me at the start and set me up to keep pushing for the whole swim. Cold or not, I had a great swim.


Tom Saturday swim report: solid marine layer at Avila when I arrived at 9:45. The air temperature was 53 with a very slight breeze. My toes tell me the water temperature was about 48°. Apparently the wind can remove warmth from the ocean much faster than the sun can replenish it!  I am ready for the water to be in the 50s again… Nevertheless, it was a good morning swim. 



Yes, that touch of 52°+ on Tuesday is had to forget and has us thinking about when the water will warm up into the low 50's!

I'll be back Sunday at 11 with Pat and anyone else who shows up.

niel          

1 comment:

UY Trienviro Pvt. Ltd. said...

Thank u. Very Good Input. This update has dredged up some right old spam my crap. True, we are noticing the same.Wastewater treatment plants