Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Tuesday, April 11th, 2023

 When 52.7° Feels Like a Hot Tub -
  

There was  a very nice sunrise at Avila Beach today. At 7AM it was 51° and calm with some high clouds and a bit of fog a good ways offshore. The water was glassy and the surf was 1 to 2 foot. I would measure a water temperature of 11.5°C/52.7°F at the buoy line. I have not recorded a water temp that high since early December and there has been a lot of swimming in quite cold water in the last four months. 


I swam to the fourth buoy and Yoyoed out to the end of the pier and back from each buoy.  Starting at the fourth buoy makes each lap shorter than the previous. 

An attempted thumbs up while holding the thermometer and taking the photo.

I never expected to write this but after the last few weeks of water temps between 47° and 49° 52°+ didn't feel cold at all.  Mr. Lindsay says that the winds we will have later in the week will push the water temp back down but weathermen are sometimes wrong in their predictions. 
    

Tom's Avila hot tub swim report: well, not quite a hot tub, but 52 felt like it after the 46° we've had for the last couple weeks.  Everything is relative. It was a lower tide today when I was swimming, so I saw several starfish at the end of the AP  and the CPP… Very cool creatures.  I had a nice long swim this morning. Here's hoping the warm water stays with us.


The GoPro Lifetime Warranty is the Real Deal -

I have been using a GoPro 10 Black for a year to take the photos for the blog. It has been in the ocean with me four times a week and has never given me a problem. I haven't been very diligent about rinsing the camera after swimming. Lately I noticed corrosion on the ears that fold out from the camera body and are used to attach it to a mount. I don't use them. I called GoPro, sent them a photo, and they offered to send me new ears and a screwdriver that would fit the tinny TORX screws. It was suggested that I try and do better about rinsing this area when I get out of the water but if I have the same problem with the replacement ears just call them and they will send me another pair.    
Can't ask for a better deal than that.

I'll swim at 7 on Thursday.

niel





No comments: