Sunday, April 9, 2023

Sunday, April 9th, 2023

 Today Was A Great Day To Be At The Beach -

I arrived at Avila at 10:30. IT was 60° and sunny. There was a fog bank offshore that was hooking into Fossil Point and the light breeze from that direction was chilly. Avila wasn't crowded, the surf was small and the water looked nice. I spoke with Peter Kelley and he said that John Lindsey's weather report for the coming week was for NW winds that would push the water temperature down several degrees.  Great.   Mr. Lindsey also predicted that we had seen the last rain of the season. I'm looking forward to a resumption of my 4 day a week swimming schedule without any rain days.
Pat Mead and Arno were swimming toady. Arno is from the Bay Area, swims in the bay a few times a month and will be doing tri in Morro Bay in May. Pat is signed up too and figured it was time to get back in the water.
The fog bank was kind'a pesky. While we were getting ready it came in until it hid the end of the pier, causing us to rethink our route. By the time we were getting in the fog had pulled back and we had clear sky's for the entire swim.  
The swimming conditions were wonderful. The water was clean and flat and about 50° with some spots that were much warmer, near the creek, and colder, near the Avila Pier.

We swam out to the buoy line, turned left to the 4th buoy, then to the end of the pier, the 4th buoy on the west side of the pier and along the buoys back to the pier. Then it was to the end of the Avila Pier and back to the 4th buoy on the east side. Arno went in from here and Pat and I Yoyoed between the end of the Avila Pier and the forth and third buoys, then swam in to the second buoy and came in.
For not being at the beach since last fall Pat was kicking my butt but when he pulled the plug on Yoyoing the second buoy I felt better.  
Arno, Pat and Niel at the end of the Avila Pier.

When Pat and I got out at 12:45 the beach was more crowded than I had ever seen. There wasn't a place to put another blanket. I had my lunch and left. I couldn't get past the dueling music and sunscreen aromas. There were what would be memorable sunburns happening. 
Tom's Easter swim report: it was about 57° when I arrived at Avila at 9:45 AM. A beautiful, clear day with deep blue skies. The water temperature was about 50°, which was downright balmy after a week of 46°.  Great day of swimming.

I'll be back Tuesday and Thursday at 7 to see what Mr. Lindsay's wind has for us. 


niel

No comments: