Saturday, April 8, 2023

Saturday, April 8th, 2023

 Normalcy May Be Returning

The wind has laid down and the water temperature was 49° today so we may have turned the corner on our Springtime water temperatures and be moving towards less demanding conditions.    

Niel and Stephanie got in just after 7. The air temperature was 45°, there were some high clouds, no wind and small waves.  Around the pier was enough for Stephanie. She went in and I went west down the buoy line and over for a lap along the Cal Poly Pier.  The water felt about as cold as it has been. 3/4's of the way to the end of the CPP fog moved in and shut down visibility to a few hundred meters. At the end of the pier I changed my route from swimming to the end of the Avila Pier and came back the way I'd come. At the second crossbars on the CPP I couldn't see any part of Avila but the sun was visible through the fog so if I kept it on my right shoulder I'd find either the beach or the Avila Pier.  The visibility opened up when I was closer to shore and I was able to swim directly to the west end of the buoy line and back to the pier.

I had brought some energy gels along today to see if they would help offset the 47° water we had been having. I didn't think it would work during the swim but possible leave me feeling better after the swim. I was surprised that the gels seemed to be helping but when I read the 49° water temp I knew that I had been feeling a 2° bump up in the water temperature. 


Tom had water polo commitments this morning but will be at the beach tomorrow. 


I'll swim at 11 tomorrow.


niel

No comments: