Saturday, April 29, 2023

Saturday, April 29th, 2023

I was surprised to find Jodi waiting for me what I arrived. She has been benched while doing PT on her shoulder. She now a conditional (as in "don't screw it up") permission from her PT to swim if she keeps her shoulder motions within specified limits.  She swam the buoy line while I went around the Avila Rock.  I didn't see her after I got out. I hope she did OK because it is great to have her back. She hopes to continue swimming on Saturdays and Sundays.
Stephanie will be swimming on Tuesdays and Thursdays so my total solo days may be over. 

Niel and Jodi getting in.



It was very gray but the clouds were high with no fog so the visibility was good. At 7 the air temp was 52° and the water was a consistent 10°C/50°F.  There was no wind. The surf was 2 to 3 feet. Starting out along the Avila Pier it was bumpy and got more so when I turned towards Avila Rock, but about 2/3's of the way to the rock it flattened out and stayed smooth for the rest of my swim.  It was nice to be able to relax on the way back. 

I have not been out to the rock in a while. I feel like I'm really out in the ocean when I'm out there. The end of the Cal Poly Pier has some of the same feel but you are next to a huge built thing so it doesn't feel as wild. It is early enough in the summer that the kelp was not thick so I cut through it instead of swinging way out and going all of the way around.

I'll be back tomorrow at 11. 

niel


Tom's Saturday morning, swim report: well, it was all happening at Avila this morning. Lifeguard training was in full swing, the Pale kai boats were out, there were numerous single person, outriggers out, and there was me swimming.  Despite the 55° air temperature and thick marine layer when I arrived at 9:45, the beach was filling up with humans.  The water was calm and glassy with a two or 3 foot swell rolling in. My toes tell me the water temperature was 50°, with sections of 49, most notably, at the end of the CPP.  The swim was a good morning vitamin.
 

No comments: