Thursday, April 6, 2023

Thursday, April 6th, 2023

Today weas a repeat of Tuesday. At 7:16 when I got in it was sunny and calm with thin high clouds, 43°, nothing surf and a bit of a bump on the water. I expected the water temperature to be the same, but it might have been a half degree colder. I measured 8°C/46.4°F but there were colder spots. 
47° is just cold. I get over the initial shock on my bare skin but I never get to a point where I'm no longer aware of how cold the water is. I feel the cold through my wetsuit which doesn't happen above 50°. It is strange but I'm looking forward to swimming in 50°/51° water.
today's double triangle was one of my reacquaintance swims of the routes that must be navigated by guesswork when the swim zone buoys have been taken out for the winter.  It depends on my mood which I prefer. 



Tom's Thursday swim report: The conditions were almost identical to Tuesday. 56° air temperature when I arrived at 9:30, and the water was 46°.  Coldwater swimming at its finest. 



I'll be back Saturday morning at 7 and Sunday at 11. I'm going to try bringing along some gels for during the swim on Saturday to see if some extra calories help with the cold. My expectation is that it will not make any difference during the swim but may improve my state immediately afterward.

niel    



No comments: