Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Tuesday, April 4th, 2023

 Two Personal Records - One for me and one for Tom

The water temperature this morning ranged between 8°C/46.4°F and 7.5°C/45.5°F which is a record chill for both of us. When I was wading out the water felt extra cold on my hands. With the water in the low 50' and upper 40's I'll usually feel the cold on my exposed skin until I get evened out after a few hundred meters, then for the rest of the swim I know it is cold but I'm OK.  It is a lot like starting a run or ride in cold weather.  Today I did get acclimated but it was at a place where I never stopped thinking about how cold the water was.
Otherwise, I got in a bit after 7. The air temperature was 43°, there was no wind and the surf was small. The water was glassy and seductive. 'Come on and jump in and have a great swim' it said. Yes, but the walk out got my attention and made me wonder what this was going to be like. 
We have swim buoys now so I decided to loop around the east buoys, over to the Cal Pier swim in along the CPP and come back to the Avila Pier along the west buoys. 
I measured a water temperature at the end of the Cal Poly Pier of 8°C, which confirmed that it wasn't me but the water temperature I was feeling. Coming in along the CPP there was a noticeable temperature drop between the third and second crossbars, so a took a second reading and got 7.5°C. At that point I was ready to get back to the beach just in case there were any even colder spots I might swim into.     


Tom's Tuesday morning swim report:
Clear blue skies, 53, with a mild on shore breeze. Those were the conditions when I arrived at Avila at 9:30.  The water was calm with a slight bump to it. After yesterday's howling wind, I figured the water temperature was going to be pretty cold… Little did I know how right I was!  My toes and teeth told me it was 47° with some spots that were 46°.  This begs the question, how low will it go?  The swimming was nice, but brrrr!  

I'll be back Thursday morning at about 7:30.
On Saturday I'll get in at 7 and Sunday at 11.

niel 

No comments: