Thursday, March 11, 2021

Thursday, March 11th, 2021

 The predicted big surf was not to be seen at Avila Beach this morning. We had 3 footers, not much wind, rain clouds moving through and some nice swell in the water from the SE. The water was exceptionally clear and I measured an air temperature of 47 and a water temperature of 52.  Theresa, Grace and Niel were going to swim. Because of the rain the day before I was planning on staying on the east side of the Avila Pier, away from the mouth of San Luis Obispo Creek. I was going to swim triangular laps to get my distance. Grace and Theresa did the first triangle with me and then headed over to the Cal Poly Pier.     




The clear water doesn't show up well in the photo. People are allowed out onto the pier now so I'm back to taking the water temperature from there. That odd object at the end of the line is an old shampoo bottle that I use for a float for the thermometer.   

 Theresa, Grace and Niel were going to swim. Because of the rain the day before I was planning on staying on the east side of the Avila Pier, away from the mouth of San Luis Obispo Creek. I was going to swim triangular laps to get my distance. Grace and Theresa did the first triangle with me and then headed over to the Cal Poly Pier.     
By 1 o'clock tomorrow the Blue Water Task Force website will have numbers from Thursday mornings samples posted and I'll see how justified my caution was.
  https://bwtf.surfrider.org/explore/34

I took several shots of us at the end of the Avila Pier 
but I only managed to get Theresa in the frame.

The weekend looks nice. I'll swim at 8 on Saturday and Sunday. If the conditions on Sunday are as flat and warm as todays I've got a 4000M route planned. 

niel





No comments: