Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Tuesday, April 12th, 2022

49.5° - This may be some kind of a record.

I'm not referring to the water temperature today, we have seen spring water temperatures of 47° to 50°, but the water at Avila was 55.5° on Sunday and I do not recall ever seeing a 6 degree drop in two days.  The wind was really howling yesterday and through last night and that will push the water temperature down. 

Otherwise, it was sunny and 47° at Avila at 7:30, the wind was gusty, from still to really blowing. The surf was small and the watter nice and clean. I was thinking that I might have read the thermometer wrong but when my face hit the water all doubts were over.      

The second crossbars on the CPP, the end of the Avila Pier, the end of the CPP, in to the third crossbars and to the beach where I had gotten in. 

At the end of the CPP.
The swimming today was great. The water was very clear and the chop and wind kept me pushing and working with the water. 
I was in my 3.5/4.5 full suit and thinking about Tom and how he would get in at 9 and be out here in his thin farmer john and a rash guard. It didn't make me feel any warmer or virtuous. Then I realized that it was 10 years ago that Rob Dumouchel swam bareback from Avila to Pismo on New Year's Day in water that was 50°- 51°. It took him 4.5 hours because of an incoming storm and he said that he felt 'fine' when he got out. That didn't make me feel any warmer either, or interested in going without my neoprene.     

On my was to my car I met Tom on the beach as he was getting in.

And me wondering when I would again be able to feel my feet. 


Product Report - Costco Microfiber Beach Towel

I picked up this really beautiful microfiber beach towel at Costco on Sunday. It was really nice looking, large enough at 30" x 60", and would be more compact and faster drying than a cotton terry towel. I went right by the part of the description that said 'sand resistant'. One use and I understood. This towel is for laying on on the beach, not drying yourself off. The surface is very dense with no discernable pile, so it does not pick up sand, but it barely wicks up water so it is not good for drying you off.  A quick lesson on a windy morning after a long cold swim.

I'll swim at 8 on Thursday morning and I'll bring my old, huge, heavy, terry cloth towel.

niel

 

No comments: