Saturday, May 13, 2023

Saturday, May 13th, 2023

Jodi and I got in at about 7AM. Both the air and the water were about 51° to 52°. There was a low ceiling of clouds but still reasonable visibility.  Figuring that the clouds could drop down and become fog we decided to stick close and back and forth to the four buoys on the east side. We swam out to the end of the Avila Pier and did the lap to the 4th buoy first. Jodi called it good after completing the laps to buoy numbers 4, 3, and 2, swam in to umber 1 and came in. That was a post shoulder surgery personal best for her for time and distance. I swam out to the end of the pier and came back in for a bit more distance. 
The conditions began as glassy but got bumpy with some swells about half way through which made me wonder if the wind was already picking up offshore.     



Jodi and Niel at the end of the Avila Pier


Tom Saturday morning swim report: fog, fog, fog. It was fully socked in this morning when I arrived at 930. The air temperature was 58°. When I got down to the water I saw that it was calm and mostly glassy… My toe-mometer  told me the water temperature was 51°. Niel's thermometer told him it was 52°. I think Niel's thermometer is not calibrated. Niel says I must be smoking crack. I tell him, no, it's too early for that. I need to go grocery shopping later.  In fact, there were probably spots of 51 and spots of 52.  It was a good day of swimming. 
 

I'll swim tomorrow morning at 11.


niel

No comments: