Sunday, May 14, 2023

Sunday, May 14th, 2023

 Amazingly Warm and Bumpy Water -

When I dove through a wave while getting in my world became WARM.  The water was unexpectedly comfortable, a word I have not used to describe the ocean at Avila since September. I later measured a water temperature of 13.5°C/56.3°F, three degrees C warmer than yesterday morning. I don't know how this happened but this was going to be a more relaxing swim.
It was just me today.
The air temp was 58° at 11 o'clock. There were high clouds with a bit of sun but no indication that it would clear. There was a steady breeze out of the W/SW and a chop on the water.
I swam down the buoy line to the left, out around the buoy at the reef, to the end of the Cal Poly Pier and doubled back along my route out. This route is about 2 miles.  
My Garmin seems to have passed out 3/4 of the way to the CPP and sort of recovered when I arrived back at the reef buoy, logging one point before quitting.  It is interesting that the clock keeps running even if the GPS has lost its sync and is no longer tracking. The swim out to the CPP was a slog into the chop and current but I've been in bigger conditions and the watch didn't loose its sync.  

At the end of the CPP about to collect my payback for the swim out 
and scream downhill all of the way to the reef buoy.
I wish my watch hadn't messed up. The return was much easier and 
quicker and I would have liked to have known how much faster my return trip was.

No report from Tom today. I texted him about the water temperature after I got out. Maybe he didn't want to overcook his toes and rick loosing their calibration.......   

Stephanie and I will swim Tuesday and Thursday mornings at 7. 


niel

 

No comments: